Saturday, December 25, 2010

Streaming columnist listening to analog AM radio?

Is it a Christmas miracle?  No, I just finally have the chance to escape the RF and noise of the city and do some mediumwave DX from my old homestead in Brasstown!

In the first 30 minutes, I already logged two new stations for me (I haven't done ANY AM DX in more than 2 years)....540 WAUK in Milwaukee, WI and 550 WKRC in Cinncinati, OH.  Those put me up to 728 AM stations heard in Brasstown, 874 lifetime.  I really haven't done much DXing at all since 2003 when I moved from Brasstown.......it is nice to be back behind the dials again!

For those gear-heads out there, I am DXing tonight with a Drake R8 and a Kenwood R-5000.  I am using a combination of longwire and a KIWA loop antenna.  I might also fire the Drake SPR-4 up with the KIWA here in a bit.  A bit of interesting note for all of you DXers and readers of Monitoring TImes....I am borrowing the DX station of the one and only "Queen of Shortwave."  Yes, that's right, I am DXing from the same spot that my mother, Gayle Van Horn, pulls in elusive shortwave signals and continues to add to her impressive QSL totals.

There is more than six inches of snow on the ground here in Brasstown and it is still snowing.  Perfect "DXpedition" weather!!!!

One thing I have noticed is that streaming radio is a wonderful tool for the Mediumwave DXer!  I have been able to save a lot of time by pulling up streams to verify local stations that I am hearing.  Rather than a deterrent, streaming audio is actually helping me to enjoy DXing again!

If you notice from the photos, I might be the digital radio guy, but I am still a firm user of the old fashioned, handwritten logbooks.

So, if you are one of those that cry foul to the effect that streaming radio has on your DX enjoyment, ring your hands no more....there is still plenty to hear on the radio, and the digital age has even added additional tools to make it easier to tune in elusive signals!

Until next time, 73s and Merry Christmas!

Loyd
W4LVH